Friday, March 31, 2017

Help!

I need your expert advice on a clothing issue.

This week I bought an adorable dress from the Sixties -- and it's authentic vintage clothing. It's rare to find a 50-year old item, especially large enough to fit me.

One problem though. It has a ruffle-detail down the front which was popular at the time. Because the dress was crammed into an overstuffed clothing rack, the ruffles are flat as a pancake. I tried to fluff them up with my hands but they continue to lay flat.

How can I restore the ruffles to their former glory? What will fluff them up?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

10 comments:

  1. You need a steamer. You know, what they have in shops. Alternatively, hang it in the bathroom and take long, hot shower. The steam should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tiina! Actually, we have a steamer in our house. I bought one for Robin for Christmas and she hadn't taken it out of the box yet.

      Delete
  2. Tiina hit it correctly with the steamer. Another option would be to simply put it in the dryer with a dryer sheet for 20 minutes on a med-low setting. Make sure you are there to take it out right away and hang it up.

    I'm excited to see it on you!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with everyone - steam will do it!

    Mary
    www.marymurnane.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A steamer is the way to go. If you don't have one, put it in your bathroom with the door closed and crank the shower to full hot for about 15 minutes (fan OFF, if you can) to mimic the steamer effect. You could also go into a mall store that sells dresses and ask if they would steam it for you. The clothing store I used to work in would do that if I asked nicely - but go on a quiet time, like a Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say spray starch it and iron. What kind of fabric is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's cotton. The label is frayed.

      Delete
  6. I'm excited to see this on you! Glad you have so many fashionable girls here who can help you in a bind (I wouldn't know what to do with it either!)

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness, I haven't got a clue! But apparently you've already had lots of excellent advice!!x

    ReplyDelete