Thursday, June 20, 2013

James Gandolfini (1961-2013)


James Gandolfini died today.  He was only 51.  The preliminary report is that he had a heart attack while vacationing in Rome, Italy.

How sad.  I loved Gandolfini's work in "The Sopranos," one of the best shows ever made for television.  He portrayed mobster Tony Soprano in a way nobody had before.  There was vulnerability in his role, conveying profound sadness in the character's soul.  And, of course, Tony's legendary difficulties with women were at the heart of his problems.

In 2009, I heard Gandolfini was going to appear on the New York stage in a production of "God of Carnage."  I spent big bucks to get front-row tickets.  What an amazing experience.  Gandolfini was terrific in the play and we were only ten feet away from him.  It was magical to be so close to talent.

I celebrate and mourn the man.  He was a great actor.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Ally,

    Such a young age he's barely older than me ... its truly sad. Although I was never hooked on the Sopranos and watched the show sporadically, I do believe he was an excellent actor.

    Hugs to you
    W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admired him in everything I saw him in. I watched the Sopranos here and there so I never really think of him from that role - my favourite of his films is Lonely Hearts. Quite a loss and I'm sorry he's passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I't's incredibly sad, and he was pretty young as well,only 51! I loved The Sopranos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad to lose someone who had such talent and was so young!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sad. I imagine the lifestyle for these people is crazy. its hard enough for those of us who are 'normal' to eat properly, get sufficient rest, keep the stress levels down- overall balance in life.

    I often wonder what the world of a movie star is like.. so out of reach and hard to even imagine what kind of crazy reality it must!!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad about this - we've been watching the Sopranos for the last year and are now on the final season - so I feel almost like I knew him with all the time we've been spending together lately! So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never saw anything he was in, but still. Very sad news! Too young to go :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. He was an amazing actor- I can only image how powerful his performance was on stage. Tragic loss- he was a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So tragic, it's scary because my mom was born in 61'.
    Xo, Megan, www.TfDiaries.com

    ReplyDelete